Spectrum Systems' patent-pending Automated ALGOL to C++ Conversion tool (ALTOS© ) and
conversion methodology is the best product currently available to convert
UNISYS/MCP/ALGOL - based systems to C/C++ on UNIX or WINDOWS running on
commodity servers. ALTOS© package includes the source code processing tool
itself, and multi-platform C++ run-time libraries and header files to use with
converted code. Converted systems run on UNIX or Windows platform.
ALTOS Release 2.0 is available immediately.
ALTOS commercial users successfully used it to convert and put in production
very large, mission critical high - availability applications.
As proved by our experience of using ALTOS to convert millions of lines of
complex ALGOL code, more than 99.9% of the code is converted automatically.
Experience shows that converted code is robust, and performs better than
original ALGOL code. Experience also shows that the number of detected problems
per line in converted software is two orders of magnitude less than in newly
developed code. The entire conversion effort takes a small fraction of time and
cost that would be needed to re-write the legacy system.
Just the operational savings from converting a large ALGOL system may amount to
tens of millions of dollars per year.
Release 2.0 incorporates the following major
• Improved efficiency of run-time library, and hence the code produced by ALTOS.
• Improved detection and logging of potential problems in converted code (More
than 150 of problem situations are identified and reported).
• Expanded conversion capabilities (covering some rarely used ALGOL constructs).
• Providing additional features for project-specific conversion tune up (new
configuration parameters for converter, the means for users to redefine/override
certain functions and definitions).
• Better support for use of libraries (automatic generation of header files for
libraries, automatic generation of library initialization procedures,
explanation of library use in Developer's Guide)
• Better support for DCALGOL and DMALGOL constructs (queues and messages, DB
• Configuration Management support for large projects (clear versioning for
converter and RTL, versioning, time-stamping, and control sums for converted
files, batch mode for conversion)
Please find more information on Altos: